Friday, June 7, 2013

Relay For Life 2013

This weekend was the 19th annual Relay For Life of Dubois County, and just like the last 19 years, we were there.  This year's theme was "Growing Seeds of Hope", so it was a farm theme.  This year was the first time, since Relay has been in Dubois County, that the event took place inside.  On Friday morning, the committee decided to move it into the Jasper Middle School gyms because it was raining, and there was a chance for sever storms later in the evening and through the night.  Even though I would much rather walk outside, having it inside didn't turn out too bad.  Alvin and the kids came over for a little while, and left right before the luminaria ceremony.  After the luminaria ceremony, Emily, April, Brooke, Barbara, and I walked and talked until Pizza Time.  After we ate pizza, and talked a little more.  We all headed home around 1:00-1:30 to get a few hours of sleep.  Easton and I were back at Relay around 8:30 Saturday morning, and stayed until after closing ceremonies at 11:00.  I was going to go back over by myself, but Easton woke up right before I left.  Since Alvin, Owen, and Avari, were still sleeping, I just tool Easton with me.  Once he woke up a little more, he had a lot of fun.  He even participated in the Flamingo toss game.  As of the end of the Relay, Dubois County has raised a little over $75,000 for the American Cancer Society.  It was a little short of our goal of $122,000, but we still have about 1-2 months left to raise money for this year, we still have a chance to reach that goal.
Avari, Adi, Aden, Kenley, and Owen planting gladiolas, and decorating their cups at our "Planting Seeds of Hope" onsite fundraiser.
~The pink fire truck, named Donna Joy~
It travels around the world bringing awareness of cancer, and raising money to help people battling cancer.
It is filled with the names of people who have had or have cancer.
Grandma and Grandpa Hartings and Grandpa Schum now have their names written on the truck.
~Luminaria Ceremony~
The most emotional part of Relay For Life, but also the best part. 
Since it was held inside, we couldn't use candles, so they gave us glow sticks instead.
Personally, I like the glow sticks better. I think it looks prettier : ) 
All the luminarias lit up. 
~Hartings Angels~
back - Barbara, Brooke, April
front - me, Emily
(we are missing Janelle and Margie)
Easton taking his turn at the Flamingo Toss game. 
So he may have gotten a little closer than he was suppose to... 
...and maybe he placed them onto the flamingo's neck, instead of tossing them, but it was still cute to watch. :)
Notice the rings on the floor?  Those were ones that he threw down after taking them off the flamingo's neck. :)

Saturday evening, my parents watched the kids, while Alvin and I went to church.  After church, we picked up food from the Ferdy Flyer and went to my parents house.  The Schipps also came over.
Sunday morning, we headed to Louisville Airport for our trip to DISNEY WORLD!!  More on that in my next post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment