Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Several Firsts

This past week was full of several firsts.
A couple of nights last week, I decided to see how Avari would do feeding herself.  She actually did pretty good...as long as she didn't use a spoon. :p  She hasn't quite grasped the concept of the spoon, so while some times the food made it to her mouth, most of the time, it ended up on the floor. :)
Eating apples with a spoon!

I signed Owen up for Bitty Basketball at the YMCA, and he had his first practice Thursday night.  I honestly had no idea how he would do, or if he would even participate at all.  I asked Katie if she wanted to coach his team because I thought it might help, if he had someone that he knew coaching him.  He did really well, and said that he liked it, so that's a good thing.  Guess what team he is on.....the Boilermakers!  What are the odds, that Katie's team would be called the Boilermakers, especially since the lady that assigns the team had no idea that she went to Purdue! :)  They have practices on Thursdays and games on Saturdays.  I don't have any pictures though...sorry.  Since I didn't know how well it would go, I didn't think about taking my camera along, and their game was cancelled because of the weather.  Hopefully, I will get some pictures this week.  If anyone is interested in coming to a game, I will write his schedule below.  From watching the kids at practice, I definitely think that the games will be fun to watch.:)
  • Feb. 6   -  9:30am
  • Feb. 13 - 11:30am
  • Feb. 20 - 10:30am   (Ruth and Janie - Alec's team also plays at this time)
  • Feb. 27 - 9:30am   (They will be recognizing the players at this game)
Saturday afternoon, we went to my parents' house, so that Alvin and dad could make dressing.  Owen even got to help this time.  He was so excited about it!  He helped grind the chicken, onions, and celery...then he was done. :)

After the dressing was done, we took the kids outside to play in the snow.  Owen had a blast sled riding, making snow angels, throwing snowballs, and just walking in it.  Avari wasn't too thrilled about it, but only because she hates being bundled up.  She loved standing and watching Owen though.  I'm sure she will have alot more fun once she can walk.
Sledding down mamaw and papaw's hill
Throwing snowballs at daddy!
Posing with the snowman he made at mamaw and papaw's house

After we came in from the snow, we got something to eat, and spent the evening at my parents' house.  While we were there, Avari had a BIG first!!!  She walked a few steps on her own!!!  She only takes 4-5 steps, at the most, each time, and only when she wants to, but it is definitely the start of something.  She has been walking all over the place holding onto one of our hands for awhile, but if we let go of her hand, she would just sit down.  Saturday night, I guess she decided that it was ok to let go, although she did have her duck blanket in her hand, so I think that helped her.  I have told people that she is going to walk before she can stand on her own, and that just might happen. ;)  She is doing better at standing her on own, but  most of the time, she doesn't have the patience.  As soon as you try to stand her up, she wants to walk, instead of stand still.  Watch out when she gets the hang of walking...we are going to be in trouble. :)  This weekend she has also started climbing onto things.  She wants to climb up on, or into, everything.  Then she gets mad if she can't do it, or does it, but can't get out.
Who needs toys, when you have a tote! :)

Sunday, after church, we went to Alvin's parents' house for dinner, and spend a few hours there.  After we left, Alvin stayed home with the kids, so they could take naps, and I went to Walmart.

Monday, Alvin took Owen and Addison outside to play in the snow.  They went sled riding and built a snowman.  This was the first time that Owen and Adi actually helped make the snowman. :)
Adi, Frosty, and Owen :)
It was a weekend full of firsts, and I know that there will be more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment