Thursday, November 14, 2013

School Updates

Owen and Avari have both been doing very well in school.

Owen is once again in the high ability class for Language Arts.  We are very proud of him!  He has clipped up several times on his class's clip chart, for good behavior, and for doing things without being asked.  He was actually the first kid in his class to clip up 20 times!!  Once they do that, Mr. Hall brings in a bag of things, and they get to pick one.  Owen picked a long rubber snake....yuck!  He is enjoying trying to scare everyone with it.   He says that his favorite classes are Reading and Math.  At his parent/teacher conferences, we were told that he at or above where he needs to be, which we were very happy to hear.  Mr. Hall's class is in charge of collecting the school's recyclables.  Owen is assigned to get the recyclables out of the principal's office.
Alvin and I wanted to eat with Owen on his birthday, but it didn't work out.  Luckily, my Aunt Ruth works there, and she asked Owen if she could eat lunch with him, which Owen was thrilled about.  Alvin and I were happy that someone was able to eat lunch with him on his birthday  We were able to eat lunch with him the next week, and Avari and Easton even came along.  Alvin and I love being able to eat lunch with Owen, and I think Owen loves it too.  I also think Owen liked having his sister and brother there, as much as the enjoyed being there.  The day before Fall Break, they had their Halloween parties.  Kindergarten and 1st grade are allowed to bring their costumes to school, and change for their party.  Owen loved his Halloween costume, so he was excited to wear it to school.
I'm glad that Owen is having a great year, so far.  I hope it continues through the whole school year.

Avari loves preschool!  This is the first year that Mrs. Brenda has the second year student going three days a week, and I really like it.  Since they have an extra day each week, Mrs. Brenda is introducing the kids to some science skills, and they are also learning some sight words.  Avari can already read several of the kindergarten sights words (thanks to Owen having to go over them every night last year), so she loves learning the words that she doesn't know yet.  So far they have learned, "I", "see", "my", "can", "like", and "a".  They have practiced writing the letters Aa-Gg  and the numbers 1 & 2, without tracing them.  They have also learned more about their shapes.  In science, they had learned about their senses, and bats.  During Fire Safety week, they took a field trip to the St. Henry Fire Station, which all the kids enjoyed.  They took a picture with a fireman, in front of a fire truck, which ended up in the Ferdinand News.  Avari and Lance thought they were hot stuff when they saw their picture in the paper. : -D  The week of Halloween, they went to school in their costumes, and had a Halloween party.  Avari said it was a lot of fun!
Just like in years past, Mrs. Brenda gives out an award each class, for being good, or doing good things.  Avari has received a Hip Hip Hooray Award  for lining up nicely, and a Star Student Award for working quietly.  One day the whole class got a Star Student award because they were all really good.  We are very proud of her, and hope she keeps up the good work!  Although, I have to admit, I was surprised by how she got the Star Award.  I mean anybody that knows Avari well, knows that she loves to talk, so for her to get an award for being quiet, is a big accomplishment for her!  Haha

Alvin and I love that Owen and Avari are enjoying school, and doing well at school.  We hope the rest of the school year goes just as well as it has been going.

I've done a major update so there are 5-6 more posts below this one, if you would like to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment