Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cousin Time! / Owen's Accomplishment!

So normally, I update on the weekend happenings, before I update on anything else, but not this time.  This time, I'm starting with the news that Owen came home from school with on Friday.

Owen's News
On Friday, Owen came home with a letter stating that he "as been identified as a student who would benefit from advanced instruction in language arts."  It went on to say that the identified students will meet once per week with the high ability instructor.  Alvin and I are SO proud of Owen!!!
As most of you already know, you always worry about how your kids will do in school, so it's definitely nice when you see that they really are doing well.  I'm not going to lie...Alvin and I were actually a little surprised when we saw the letter, and then read that it was for language arts (math was the other curricular area).  If you would be at our house, in the evenings, you would maybe understand why we were a little surprised.  Trying to get Owen to read, or write, or practice his words, is usually a big chore.  Most of the time he would rather be doing anything else.  When you read to him, I swear you wouldn't think that he was paying attention at all because his eyes are wandering all over the place, and he doesn't sit still.  When you actually do get him to practice his words though, he can speed right through them, and when he actually wants to read, he does okay.  His biggest problem is that he's not much of a bookworm, so you usually have to keep on him to get him to finish the book.  So seeing that letter requesting him to be in the high ability group for language arts, showed Alvin and I that Owen must be understanding it.  Even if he doesn't want to do it at home, at least he's doing it at school! :)

Now onto the weekend...

Friday night, the kids wanted to see Grandma and Grandpa Schum, so after supper, we went down to their house for a little while.

Saturday morning, my dad went to Sander Processing, to pick up some meat that was on sale.  Owen wanted to go with him, so dad took Owen along.  Avari, Easton, and I just hung out at home.
That afternoon, we all headed to the Dubois Lanes, in Huntingburg, to go bowling with some of the Hartings cousins.  Alvin was able to come for awhile, but then he had to leave for work.  Barbara and Wes, and 10 of the kids bowled (the other kids were too little).  It took us awhile to get through all 10 frames, but the kids had fun!  Avari used this slider thing that they had, where you put the ball on it, and give it a push, but Owen didn't use it at all.  Avari even got 1 spare!!  Owen finished with a score of 65, while Avari finished with a score of 62.  I'm sure we will going bowling again because the kids had a blast, and have been asking to go again, since Saturday night!  Afterwards, we were all going to get something to eat, but since the weatherman was calling some strong storms, and Alvin had already left for work, I decided to just head home.  I didn't really feel like getting three kids in and out of the vehicle several times, by myself, in the rain. : )
Owen's 1st time bowling 
Avari's 1st time bowling 
Easton wanted to bowl so bad!  He kept walking up to the ball return, trying to get a ball.  He even walked up with Owen and Avari a couple of times, when it was their turns to bowl, and tried to push their ball down the lane.  We tried getting him to roll a ball back and forth to Alvin or I, but that didn't last very long.  Next time, we will be letting him bowl. :)

Sunday morning, after church and Sunday school, we went to my parents' house for brunch.  The Schipps also came.  We spent most of the afternoon hanging out there.
Easton really enjoyed sitting on the bench in my parents' front room, watching it rain, and saying "Puppy!"  I think he was hoping Daisy would come over to the window.  Too bad Daisy wasn't about to walk around in the rain and cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment