Monday, September 19, 2011

5 Years Ago...

Five years ago today, Alvin and I got one of the best surprises we could have asked for, and it changed our lives forever....we had a baby and became parents for the very first time!  Since I started this blog 2-1/2 years after Owen was born, I don't have any early milestones or pictures on here.  I thought now that he's 5 years old, it would be neat to look back on how he has grown, and remember different milestones.

Owen's arrival was a surprise for two reasons: 1) We didn't find out what we were having, and 2) Owen decided to make his debut 2-1/2 weeks early, as his due date wasn't until Oct. 5!  Even though, it's been five years, I remember it like it was yesterday.  Alvin and I were at Holiday World for Toyota's company picnic, when my water started leaking.  I didn't really think that's what it was because I still had 2-1/2 weeks, wasn't dilated, and never had any contractions, so I just chalked to up to the baby being on my bladder, causing my to pee a little.  We left Holiday World, and decided to go to Walmart to get a few things that I still needed for the hospital.  We ate and Applebees, and I was still leaking, got to Walmart, and still leaking.  I started thinking there was more to it, than the baby just being on my bladder, so I finally said something to Alvin (no, I never said anything to him before because I thought it was nothing).  We went through Walmart very quickly, and I called the hospital when we left.  They told me to come over, so they could check me out.  We got there, they did the paper test to see if it was my amniotic fluid.  The paper didn't change colors, so they said the baby must just be on my bladder.  After about one hour, I was dismissed, and we went home.  I took a shower, and went to bed.  Two hours later, I woke up, and was still leaking.  I knew it had to be more than the baby on my bladder at this time because there was no way my bladder would still be full.  SO, at 1:00 am, I was packing my bags (yes, I know, I waited til the last minute), and watching a birthing DVD that I had been meaning to watch.  I was also freaking out a little, but didn't want to call back over to the hospital because I still wasn't having any contractions, and was dilated and only 50% thinned (they checked when I was there earlier).  I also didn't want to wake Alvin up in case it was nothing because he was going to have to work that night.  So I waited until they Dr. Beckman's office opened, and called there.  They told me to come over, so we loaded the bags and headed there.  Dr. Beckman did the paper test, and it turn blue immediately, so we knew it was my amniotic fluid.  His next words were "Well, it looks like you are going to have a baby today!"  Alvin and I were both shocked and a little nervous because I was just over 37 weeks.  Dr. Beckman said that the main concern he has could be that the baby's heart and lungs aren't fully developed, but he really thinks he/she will be fine.  We headed straight to the hospital.  I got hooked up, and we waited, and waited, and waited.  I still wasn't dilated, so they put me on Pitocin right away.  They also gave me antibiotics for the Group Strep B virus because, even though I tested negative for it, they didn't know for sure how long my water had been leaking, so they didn't want to taken any chances of bacteria setting in, and harming the baby. I started feeling my contractions pretty early on, and they were painful.  The nurses checked me after a few hours, and I was only 1-2 centimeters dilated.  They had to slow down the Pitocin because every time they increased it, the baby's heart rate would drop.  I had to go on Oxygen twice.  I remember they gave me some anti-nausea medicine that knocked me out.  Emily said when they came to visit me, the nurses told her that I was in for a long night.  I had been there for a bout 8 hours and was only 2 centimeters dilated!  Finally about 10:00 pm I got to 3 centimeters, and they were said I could get my epidural!  That was the best news, I'd heard all evening because I contractions were coming strong, and about every 2 minutes.  Of course we had to wait for the anesthesiologist to get to the hospital.  Once I got my epidural, I dilated really quickly, and once I got the hang of pushing it I didn't have to push too much.
Finally, at 12:23 am on Tuesday Sept. 19, 2006, Owen Victor Boeglin was born!!!  He weighed 6 lb 3 oz, and was 21-1/2" long, and had dark hair.

Below are his weight and length measurements:
1 week:        6 lbs  7 oz
1 month:       7 lbs  10 oz
2 months:     10 lbs  3 oz       23" long
3 months:     13 lbs  5 oz
4 months:     15 lbs  2 oz       25-1/2" long
5 months:     16 lbs  4 oz
6 months:     17 lbs  8 oz       26-1/2" long
7 months:     18 lbs  6 oz
8 months:     18 lbs  13 oz
9 months:     19 lbs  6 oz       29-1/2" long
10 months:   20 lbs  6 oz
11 months:   21 lbs  2 oz
12 months:   21 lbs  6 oz       30-1/2" long
15 months:   22 lbs  10 oz     31-1/2" long
18 months:   23 lbs  9 oz       33" long
2 years:        27 lbs               35-1/2" tall
3 years:        34 lbs               39" tall
4 years:        36 lbs               43" tall

Here are some of his early milsetones:

  • First Bath:  Oct. 16, 2006
  • Found Thumb:  Nov. 17, 2006
  • 1st Babysitter:   Dec. 3, 2006  Jane Jochim watched Owen while Alvin and I went Christmas shopping.
  • Started sleeping through the night:  Dec. 5, 2006
  • 1st Outing:  Dec. 9, 2006   We went to visit Katie at Purdue.
  • 1st night in his own room:  Dec. 26, 2006
  • 1st Cereal: Dec. 27, 2006
  • 1st Veggie:  Jan. 21, 2006
  • 1st Fruit:  Feb. 2, 2007
  • Stands with Help:  Feb. 5, 2007
  • Found Toes:  Feb. 10, 2007
  • Sit with Help:  Feb. 18, 2007
  • Sit Up without Help:  March 18, 2007
  • Roll Over both ways:  March 20, 2007
  • Said "DADDA":  April 24, 2007
  • 1st Tooth:  April 28, 2007
  • Started Clapping:  May 11, 2007
  • Waves Bye-Bye:  May 27, 2007
  • Army Crawls:  June 20, 2007
  • 1st Time Eating Table Food:  June 21, 2007
  • Said "MOMMA":  July 5, 2007
  • 1st Haircut:  July 7, 2007
  • Drink from a Sippy Cup:  July 23, 2007
  • Walks Along Things:  July 27, 2007
  • Started Crawling on hands and knees:  Aug. 2, 2007
  • Fed Himself with a Spoon:  Aug. 6, 2007
  • Stands Alone:  Aug. 24, 2007
  • 1st Step:  Sept. 27, 2007
  • Started Walking:  Oct. 15, 2007


It has been an amazing 5 years!!  Owen has grown and changed so much!  He loves Preschool, and has gotten really good at writing his name, and is getting better with writing all his letters and numbers.  He is really into all the Super Heroes right now, but still loves playing with his trucks and tractors.  His favorite colors are orange and red.  His buddies are Addison Schipp, Gavin Jones, Jillian Healy, Colin Foster, Madison Lindauer, Kennedy Boeglin, Lance Boeglin, and Carter Welp.  He is a great big brother, and really watches out for his little brother and sister.  He is also a great little helper.  He is really good about helping me out when I need it, whether it be giving Easton a bottle, or getting something for Avari, or even getting me something.  I'm loving the little boy that Owen is becoming, and can't wait to continue watching him grow up and learn new things!
Newborn
3 months old
6 month old
9 months old
1 year old
2 years old
3 years old
4 years old







No comments:

Post a Comment