Thursday, August 18, 2011

Jam Packed Weekend

How many events can you cram into one weekend?  Well, let's see....a funeral home visitation, Strassenfest, a 5K Run/Walk, a wedding, a parade, and a concert.  I'd say that makes for a pretty full weekend! :)

I guess you could actually say that our activities started on Wednesday, Aug. 3.  Shalyn was off work that day and decided to take her kids to Holiday World in the afternoon.  She asked if Owen wanted to go along, which of course he did!  We had chiropractor appointments, so I met her in the water park afterwards to drop Owen off and pick up her little girl, Norah.  While Owen stayed at Holiday World with Shalyn, Colin, and Adi, Norah came to our house to play with Avari and Kenley.  I'm pretty sure all the kids had a great time!  Thursday, Owen, Avari, and I went to holiday World with Emily, April, and the kids.

Friday, Aug. 5, Katie, the kids and I went to the funeral home to pay our respects to Mary Brelage.  She was my Grandma and Grandpa Hartings' neighbor.  My grandma and her husband passed away around the same time, so her and my grandpa started going to Bingos together, and just keeping each other company.  She doesn't have a very big family, so she also came to a lot of out family gatherings.  She basically became our "adopted Grandma".  She was a wonderful lady, and a lot of fun!  She will definitely be missed by the whole Hartings family!  Rest in Peace Mary!

As you may have noticed above, Katie came home on Friday.  She will be home until Aug. 14.  Her interns were finishing their internships, so she had to come home to wrap things up with them.  Whatever the reason, we are all just glad to have her home again, even if it's only for a week!

After the funeral home, we met the Schipps, the Joneses, the Fosters, and the Healys at the Strassenfest.  We had quite a crew of kids!  They all had a blast riding the rides, and running around together!  This was also the first time I took all three kids out in public with our Alvin!  Man was that an adventure!  I'm so thankful to have such great sisters and cousins because they definitely helped me that night!  If I had to tend to one kid, one of them would watch the other two until I was done.  I had to take two strollers because I let our sit-n-stand in the car, and it went to work with Alvin...oops!  Luckily Katie pushed one stroller, until she went to the beer garden.  Then Emily, April, and Shalyn helped me.  We actually started leaving the Strassenfest with April pushing on stroller, me pushing the other stroller, and Owen sitting in one of them feeding Easton!  It's also nice having a son, who is such a great helping.  He fed Easton until his arm started getting tired, and his neck started hurting from the way he was sitting in the stroller.  We made it back to the car with me pushing Avari (she wouldn't let anyone else push her), Emily pushing Owen, and April carrying Easton while giving him his bottle!  Like I said, I love having such great sisters and cousins...and it was quite an adventure!  I really hope it gets a little easier! :)

Saturday morning, Aug 6, in walked in the Wettlauf 5K Run/Walk at the Strassenfest, with Emily, April, and Lindsey.  That afternoon/evening we went to Tony Betz and Wilma Schwartz's wedding.  Tony and Alvin are cousins.  They had a nice ceremony, and a beautiful reception.  Owen and Avari had a lot of fun playing with their cousins, while Easton enjoyed looking at the lights from the DJ stand.

Sunday, Aug 7, we went to the Strassenfest parade.  The kids loved picking up all the candy and other things that were thrown to them.  They also really liked seeing their Aunt Katie in the parade!  They kept asking when she was going to come by, up until the finally saw her.  Sunday evening, Alvin and the kids played at home, while I went to the Kenny Chesney concert with Emily, April, and Lindsey.  It was my birthday present from Alvin.  Uncle Kracker opened for Kenny Chesney.  It was a great concert!  It was also the last event to ever be held at Roberts Stadium.  As of Monday the stadium was closed.  All future events will now be held in the bigger stadium they are building.  While I was gone, Alvin had his first experience of getting three kids ready for bed and to bed by himself!  Luckily, he said it went pretty well.

Even though we had a jam packed weekend, we also had a lot of fun!
Owen and Avari having fun on the slip-n-slide.
Owen would hold onto Avari and Alvin would push them backwards.
~Best Buddies~
Adi, Owen, and Colin at Splashin' Safari
Shalyn with Owen, Adi, and Colin at HoliDog's FunTown

No comments:

Post a Comment