Friday, February 14, 2014

FINALLY!!!

I would like to announce that after 11 YEARS on NIGHTS,  Alvin has finally made it to DAYS!!!!

He started days on Monday, Feb. 3.  He has seemed to have a fairly easy time adjusting to everything.  He is usually really tired by the time he gets home, but other than that, he hasn't had any problem switching from night shift to day shift.  The one thing that he doesn't like, is the 2 hours of overtime they have been working.  He hasn't been getting home until 7:15-7:30 almost every night.  The good thing is that all the overtime should eventually die down.  He does miss being able to take the kids to school and pick them up.  He is looking forward to his days off, when he can do that again.  He definitely loves having a weekend!  He can actually enjoy an entire Saturday (when he isn't working them), instead of sleeping until the afternoon.

The biggest adjustment for me is trying to get the kids to and from where they need to be.  When Alvin was on nights, he usually made it home in time for one of us to take Owen, Avari, and Lance to school, while the other one stayed with the rest of the kids.  Then I would awake Alvin up in the afternoon, so that one of us could pick the kids up from school.  The only time I had to load all the kids up, was to pick Avari, Lance, and Kenley up from preschool.  Now I have to do it all.  Thankfully, Emily and my parents have been helping me out.  Emily has been dropping Kenley before taking Adi to school, so that she can take Owen for me.  Then my dad has been picking Owen and Adi up after school most days, so that they don't have to ride the bus for 1 hour (They don't like doing that at all!).  I really don't mind hauling the kids around.  I actually kind of enjoy it because it gives me a chance to get out of the house.  However, if someone is going to offer help, I'll gladly take it, every once in awhile. : )

The kids are loving having Alvin at home in the evenings.  I think that the biggest adjustment for them has been the later supper time.  I have to say that they do eat really well now though. : ) Every once in awhile, they will ask where daddy is, and I have to remind them that he's on days now.

Like with so many things, we are finding out the pros and cons of day shift vs. night shift.  While there are some days that night shift seems better, there are other days that we are all glad Alvin is on day shift.  I think that as we get used to the new schedule, there will be more and more pros to day shift.  It has been a LONG time coming, and we are all very glad that it finally happened!

***Trying to update the blog, so there are 4 more posts below.***

No comments:

Post a Comment